Monday, November 22, 2010

Homemade Granola, Because I'm Like That

Marie,

It's true, I do actually make my own crunchy granola. I guess some stereotypes are real; like people who have home births make their own granola and such.

Anyway, I think homemade granola is SO much better than the store bought variety. Plus, I like to know exactly what is in my food. Call me crazy, but many cereals out there even the "natural" kinds have a very long list of ingredients that I cannot pronounce. So I make granola.

I adapted this recipe from the recipe in one of my most favorite cookbooks, Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. Do you have this book? I know I've shown it to you before. There are so many great, healthy recipes in this book. If you don't have it, I'd recommend getting it for sure. Unfortunately I lost the first edition of this book and now only have the newer edition, which is still great, but a few recipes from the first recipe were left out that I miss.

But I digress.

Back to granola. This recipe is my standby recipe. I'm experimenting with others and I'll let you know if I come up with anything good. But if you want an easy, reliably good recipe this is a good one:

Honey Coconut Granola

4 cups oats
1/2 c sesame seeds
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c coconut oil (can substitute another oil if you need)
1/2 c honey
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat pven to 325 degerees.

In a large mixing bowl, combing oats, seeds, cinnamon and salt. Mix together.

In a small pan melt coconut oil, honey and peanut butter together. Stir to blend. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Pour oil mixture over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. (I usually use my hands to do this)

Spread on a cookie sheet or in a shallow pan and bake until granola is dry and golden. Stir every 10 minutes or so. Remove when golden brown and let cool before storing in an airtight container.

You can eat with whole milk yogurt and berries for a nutritious breakfast or snack. Alternatively, you can use as a topping for ice cream or whatever you can dream up! If you want to add dried fruits you can do that too, just wait until granola has cooled and then mix in fruit.

It's always good to have something new up your sleeve for breakfast. Hope you and Drew like it!

Hugs,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment